GPS/Global Practice Sharing provides a platform for the international exchange of ideas, processes and reflective practices surrounding dance and movement based forms between the U.S. and independent performing arts communities internationally. GPS posits that dialogue across differences necessarily catalyzes the generation of new knowledge and creative innovation. By investing in the mobility of artists, curators and cultural workers, GPS advances cross cultural understanding and the development of the contemporary arts field at large. Officially established in 2016, GPS consists of an informal network of partners currently supporting exchange projects in Eastern and Central Europe.
The GPS/Global Practice Sharing program of Movement Research is supported by funding from the Trust for Mutual Understanding.
Art Stations Foundation (Poznań, Poland)
Bunker (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Contemporary Dance Choreographers Union (Riga, Latvia)
CounterPulse (San Francisco, CA)
Derida Dance Center (Sofia, Bulgaria)
Locomotiva – Centre for New Initiatives in Arts and Culture (Skopje, Macedonia)
Station – Service for contemporary dance (Belgrade, Serbia)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL)
Workshop Foundation (Budapest, Hungary)
ZIL Cultural Center (Moscow, Russia)
ZIL Culture Center (Moscow, Russia)
April 22 – May 7, 2017: 2-week research residency by iele paloumpis
August 27 – September 10, 2017: 2-week research residency by Bessie McDonough Thayer
Art Stations Foundation (Poznan, Poland)
June/July 2017: 2-week residency by US artist(s) at Malta/SBNT Festivals
October 20-29, 2017: 1-week teaching residency at Alternative Dance Academy by Jeanine Durning
November 25 – December 11, 2017: US/Polish exchange; 2-week residency in NYC by two Polish artists during the Movement Research Fall Festival, with a showing at Movement Research at the Judson Church on Monday, December 4 at 8pm
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL)
September 11-23, 2017: 2-week teaching residency at UIUC by Olga Zitluhina & Inta Balode (Latvia)
Derida Dance Center (Sofia, Bulgaria)
Fall 2017: 3-week choreographic & teaching residency at Dance PORT Derida
Canan Yücel Pekiçten from Istanbul, Turkey is in NYC for five-weeks through a CEC ArtsLink Residency in partnership with the GPS/Global Practice Sharing program. Canan is performing on the Movement Research at the Judson Church series on Monday, November 13 at 8pm.
- Gabriela Tudor Foundation (Bucharest, Romania)
Moving Dialogue 2.0 | Seattle-Timisoara 2017
June 16-23, 2017: Teaching and performance residency at Seattle International Dance festival by Cosmin Manolescu
September 17-27, 2017: 4x4x4 Choreographic laboratory in Timisoara, Romania
- EXODOS Festival (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Shared Spaces/1 space project (Africa/ECE/Palestine/US)
April 19-24, 2017: Performance and teaching residency at Exodos Festival by Momar Ndiaye (IL/Senegal)
- November 19 – December 5, 2016: 2-week residency for Agnieszka Kryst and Katarzyna Wolińska (Poland) in NYC during Movement Research Festival Fall 2016: Unthreading the Filter. Includes a showing at Movement Research at the Judson Church on November 21, 2016. In partnership with Art Stations Foundation and Institute of Music and Dance (Poland).
- October 23 – November 8, 2016: 2-week residency by Olga Zitluhina (Latvia) at NYC. In partnership with NGO "Party" and Contemporary Dance Choreographers Unionin Latvia.
- October 19 – November 5, 2016: 2-week residency at Locomotion (Skopje, Macedonia) & Kondenz (Belgrade, Serbia) festivals for Critical Correspondence Editor Mariana Valencia and Levi Gonzalez. In partnership with Locomotiva - Centre for New Initiatives in Arts and Culture (Macedonia) and Stanica - Service for Contemporary Dance (Serbia).
- October 16-31, 2016: 2-week coaching residency by Lily Gold at ZIL Cultural Center in Moscow, Russia.
- October 1-22, 2016: 3-week choreographic & teaching residency by Charles Slender-White & assistant (CA) at Derida Dance Center in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- In June 2016, Movement Research Director of International Initiatives, Marýa Wethers, along with 2015 Movement Research Artists-in-Residence Hadar Ahuvia and André Zachery , attended the Stary Browar Nowy Taniec Na Malcie (Old Brewery New Dance at Malta) festival of contemporary dance in Poznań, Poland. André and Hadar collaborated on a short film while they were in Poznan, based on Hadar's research and André's direction. Click here for André Zachery’s blog.
- In May 2016, Mary Read (NYC) conducted a three-week research residency in partnership with ZIL Culture Center in Moscow, Russia. Click here for Mary Read's Tumblr.
- In April 2016, Abby Zbikowski (IL) led a two-week teaching residency at the Latvian Academy of Culture in partnership with the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and Contemporary Dance Choreographers Union in Latvia.
Director of International Initiatives
Thanks to the following funders, public agencies, like-minded organizations, and individuals for their generous support.