GPS/Global Practice Sharing provides a platform for the international exchange of ideas, processes and reflective practices surrounding dance and movement based forms between the U.S. and independent performing arts communities internationally. GPS posits that dialogue across differences necessarily catalyzes the generation of new knowledge and creative innovation. By investing in the mobility of artists, curators and cultural workers, GPS advances cross cultural understanding and the development of the contemporary arts field at large. Officially established in 2016, GPS consists of an informal network of partners currently supporting exchange projects in Eastern and Central Europe.
The GPS/Global Practice Sharing program of Movement Research is supported by funding from the Trust for Mutual Understanding.
Art Stations Foundation (Poznań, Poland)
Bunker (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Contemporary Dance Choreographers Union (Riga, Latvia)
CounterPulse (San Francisco, CA)
Derida Dance Center (Sofia, Bulgaria)
Locomotiva – Centre for New Initiatives in Arts and Culture (Skopje, North Macedonia)
Station – Service for contemporary dance (Belgrade, Serbia)
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (Urbana, IL)
Workshop Foundation (Budapest, Hungary)
ZIL Cultural Center (Moscow, Russia)
July 1-14, 2018 Teaching residency by Chad Michael Hall at Dance PORT Derida and summer intensive (Sofia, Bulgaria)
July 21-August 5, 2018
MRX/Trinidad New Waves! Institute Scholarship: 2-week residency in NYC for Simeon Peters (Trinidad) and Shem Heliodore (St. Lucia) during MR MELT Summer 2018
September 8-15, 2018
Teaching residency by Jennifer Monson at Alternative Dance Academy (Poznan, Poland)
October 13-23, 2018
*1.5-week teaching and performance residency by Jeanine Durning in Belgrade and Zagreb
*1.5 week teaching residency by Lisa Clark in Ljubljana, Zagreb, and Belgrade
November 24-December 9, 2018
MRX/Poland: 2-week residency in NYC for Aleksandra Borys and Wojciech Grudziński (Poland) during MR Festival Fall 2018
GPS Chats: MRX/Poland Wed 11/28
[email protected]: Mon 12/3
*visit to Mascher Space in Philly
November 29-December 8, 2018
*1-week teaching, rehearsal and performance residency by Daria Faïn at Zagreb Dance Center (Zagreb, Croatia)
Art Stations Foundation (Poznan, Poland)
June/July 2017: 2-week residency by US artist(s) at Malta/SBNT Festivals
October 20-29, 2017: 1-week teaching residency at Alternative Dance Academy by Jeanine Durning
November 25 – December 11, 2017: US/Polish exchange; 2-week residency in NYC by two Polish artists during the Movement Research Fall Festival, with a showing at Movement Research at the Judson Church on Monday, December 4 at 8pm
Derida Dance Center (Sofia, Bulgaria)
Fall 2017: 3-week choreographic & teaching residency at Dance PORT Derida
Canan Yücel Pekiçten from Istanbul, Turkey is in NYC for five-weeks through a CEC ArtsLink Residency in partnership with the GPS/Global Practice Sharing program. Canan is performing on the Movement Research at the Judson Church series on Monday, November 13 at 8pm.
Gabriela Tudor Foundation (Bucharest, Romania)Moving Dialogue 2.0 | Seattle-Timisoara 2017
June 16-23, 2017: Teaching and performance residency at Seattle International Dance festival by Cosmin Manolescu
September 17-27, 2017: 4x4x4 Choreographic laboratory in Timisoara, Romania
- EXODOS Festival (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Shared Spaces/1 space project (Africa/ECE/Palestine/US)
April 19-24, 2017: Performance and teaching residency at Exodos Festival by Momar Ndiaye (IL/Senegal)
- November 19 – December 5, 2016: 2-week residency for Agnieszka Kryst and Katarzyna Wolińska (Poland) in NYC during Movement Research Festival Fall 2016: Unthreading the Filter. Includes a showing at Movement Research at the Judson Church on November 21, 2016. In partnership with Art Stations Foundation and Institute of Music and Dance (Poland).
- October 23 – November 8, 2016: 2-week residency by Olga Zitluhina (Latvia) at NYC. In partnership with NGO "Party" and Contemporary Dance Choreographers Unionin Latvia.
- October 19 – November 5, 2016: 2-week residency at Locomotion (Skopje, Macedonia) & Kondenz (Belgrade, Serbia) festivals for Critical Correspondence Editor Mariana Valencia and Levi Gonzalez. In partnership with Locomotiva - Centre for New Initiatives in Arts and Culture (Macedonia) and Stanica - Service for Contemporary Dance (Serbia).
- October 16-31, 2016: 2-week coaching residency by Lily Gold at ZIL Cultural Center in Moscow, Russia.
- October 1-22, 2016: 3-week choreographic & teaching residency by Charles Slender-White & assistant (CA) at Derida Dance Center in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- In June 2016, Movement Research Director of International Initiatives, Marýa Wethers, along with 2015 Movement Research Artists-in-Residence Hadar Ahuvia and André Zachery , attended the Stary Browar Nowy Taniec Na Malcie (Old Brewery New Dance at Malta) festival of contemporary dance in Poznań, Poland. André and Hadar collaborated on a short film while they were in Poznan, based on Hadar's research and André's direction. Click here for André Zachery’s blog.
- In May 2016, Mary Read (NYC) conducted a three-week research residency in partnership with ZIL Culture Center in Moscow, Russia. Click here for Mary Read's Tumblr.
- In April 2016, Abby Zbikowski (IL) led a two-week teaching residency at the Latvian Academy of Culture in partnership with the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign and Contemporary Dance Choreographers Union in Latvia.
Director of International Initiatives
Thanks to the following funders, public agencies, like-minded organizations, and individuals for their generous support.
GPS Chats: Eva Kronberga and Jānis Putniņš in conversation with Inta Balode (Latvia)
Eva Kronberga, Jānis Putniņš, Inta Balode, Marýa Wethers
|January 08, 2019||7:30pm - 9:00pm|
Fall Festival | GPS Chats: Aleksandra Borys and Wojciech Grudziński (Poland) in conversation with Hadar Ahuvia and Mariana Valencia (USA)
Hadar Ahuvia, Aleksandra Borys, Wojciech Grudziński, Mariana Valencia
|November 28, 2018||6:30pm - 8:00pm|