6:30pm – 8:30pm
Wednesdays, March 31, 2021
- This class series is FREE!
- New to Zoom? We suggest reviewing the Etiquette Guidelines.
- Donate to support Movement Research online programs on our "Support" Tab above.
Movement Research is excited to offer this class online via Zoom. Registration is required for MR online programming. Once you register, you'll receive a link to join the session.
About this class:
Voice as Movement: Resonance
How might we engage in a vocal practice that resonates with where we each are in this particular moment? And how might this practice be of benefit to ourselves and others? These are two questions I would like to explore with you as I continue to investigate ways of working with the voice and body together over zoom. I’ll invite us to begin each session with a movement warm-up, tuning in to how we breathe and how breath can move through the body as an opener, an expressive tool, and as a starting point for making any sound. From there, I’ll guide us through a practice of moving vocal/physical vibration into different parts of our bodies to discover and open resonance in some of its myriad forms. Shaping and sculpting our breath and sound with the throat/tongue/teeth/lips, we’ll look to access greater ease in speaking with our whole bodies. We’ll also approach singing while moving as a way to expand resonance. My hope is to uncover the benefits of this practice in and of itself, and as a potentially potent tool for expressing ourselves more fully in the world.
Voice as Movement is informed by years of study and engagement in voice, music, movement and energy work, framed by my early training in Western European classical violin and opera, sports and American Musical Theater, and later in contemporary dance, global theater traditions, Experimental Vocal Techniques, and Qi-gong. Exercises and approaches gleaned from working with Meredith Monk & Vocal Ensemble (extended vocal techniques), Jane Comfort (text and movement) and Daria Faïn (Qi-gong and locating sound within the body) will also be referenced and incorporated.
Sounding Body 2021 Sessions:
February 17, 24, March 3: To Sing the Body Electric… with Larissa Velez-Jackson
March 10, 17, 24: Muscle Memory meditations & Sonic portals with UFlyMothership (collaboration duo Tendayi Kuumba & Greg Purnell)
March 31, April 7, 14: Voice as Movement: Resonance with Peter Sciscioli
Movement Research Zoom Etiquette:
Since many of us are new to taking class on Zoom, MR has compiled some etiquette guidelines to ensure that everyone’s time in class is full and respected.
- We ask that you "mute" yourself at all times, unless Faculty has asked you to verbally participate.
- If you’re dropping in to see how this class might suit you, please keep your video off. Send a message to just your instructor ("Chat" > "Chat with Host") so that they know that this is what you’re doing. It can be disorienting for both your instructor and fellow participants to see a video that is turned off, or one in which someone is inattentive.
- Have a question or concern? Use the chat function to communicate with the class and/or teacher.
Thank you! We hope you enjoy class!