A high visibility, low-tech forum on Monday nights throughout the fall/winter and spring seasons. Movement Research at the Judson Church supports experiments in performance rather than fully produced works. Artists are selected by a rotating peer panel of artists.
Interested in Applying?
Read the application guidelines for more information about how to apply, deadlines and program details.LEARN MORE
Applications must be submitted online by 11:59pm EST on September 30, 2016.
Questions? Email [email protected].
Season Dates: February – May, 2017
Click here to download a PDF of the application. Please note: only online submissions are accepted.
Application: Be prepared to provide the following information when submitting your online application. You may not save applications in progress. Once applications are submitted they cannot be edited. Movement Research will accept only one application per artist or artist collective/collaboration.
- Contact Information
- Summary of Proposed Project (50 words or less): 1-2 sentences clearly and concisely describing the proposed project, indicating what type of performance work you consider it to be, whether it is a solo or group work, if it is a collaborative project, and any other relevant factual information about the proposed work
- Project Description (250 words or less) that briefly and clearly elaborates the ideas/process you will be investigating.
- Brief Statement of Intent (100 words or less): What do you hope to gain or understand by showing your work as part of the MR at the Judson Church series?
- Artist bio (200 words or less)
- 1 Work Sample that best represents your artistic process. Your sample need NOT be of the work you are proposing for Judson. It may be a performance sample or a sample of ideas in progress (for example, rehearsal footage of new research).
- We ONLY accept online videos. Please provide a link to a URL, either youtube, vimeo or other. Vimeo is preferred.
- Include one cue point to a representative 2 minute section.
- Sample should contain as much of the full work as possible in case the panel wants to watch more than the cued selection.
- Be aware that, due to the volume of applicants, we cannot guarantee that the committee will watch more than 2 minutes of your sample. Please choose your cue point appropriately.
- Sample must show contiguous footage of work. Documentation video with light editing of a mutli-camera shoot of a single performance is acceptable, as long as the performance still unfolds in “real-time”. If your work sample is of a durational or installation based work contact MR for approval of an acceptable alternative video format for this type of work sample. Edited excerpts, such as a “promo-videos”, “teasers” or “choreography reels”, will not be accepted. All edited samplings of clips will be disqualified.
- Work Sample Description (75 words or less) that explains what stage of your project this work sample represents, or if it is of another project, please explain why you chose this specific work sample and how it relates to your current proposal?
- Demographic Information
Basic tech info/specs: There is only standard (non-theatrical) lighting and a sound system that plays CDs and mp3 players. No other technical equipment will be available for use unless you provide and operate that equipment independently. The dance floor dimensions are 46’7” wide by 49’5” deep. This measurement does not include the altar, audience, or back of house.
Questions? Email [email protected].
Movement Research at the Judson Church series is one of a number of MR programs intended to serve as a creative laboratory and incubator for wide-ranging artistic investigations in movement-based forms. An ongoing, free, high-visibility, low-tech forum in front of a live audience, this series attracts diverse intergenerational artists at all stages of their creative development and audiences from the dance community and general public. Because MR supports creative process, not final product, the Movement Research at the Judson Church series is for exploration of ideas, not a venue for fully produced work on a season's presentation.
Proposals are reviewed by a rotating committee of artists.
Work shown in this series must not exceed a maximum of 15 minutes.
New Information: Due to the high volume of applications we receive for this series, anyone selected to show work on either the Spring 2016 season OR the Fall 2016/Winter 2017 Season (September 2016-January 2017) is ineligible to apply this round.
About the Program
Read more about this program, including related artists, events and supporters.LEARN MORE
Movement Research at the Judson Church
Milka Djordjevich, James Gardella, Jasmine Hearn, Kyli Kleven
|September 19, 2016||8:00pm - 9:00pm|
Movement Research at the Judson Church 25th Anniversary Performance
|September 12, 2016||8:00pm - 9:00pm|
MR @ Judson – May 23
|May 23, 2016||8:00pm - 10:00pm|
MR @ Judson – May 16th
|May 16, 2016||8:00pm - 10:00pm|